February 19, Storm chasers convention.

Liz, Kody T. and I attended the Chaser Con last weekend. This year's focus was on 2011's huge tornado numbers and fatalities. I met and talked with lots of friends from the past conventions as well as meeting new people as well. Highlight of the weekend was Kody winning the grand prize---a Baron's threat net radar system hardware! Below are pictures.

Picture of Tim Marshall and me. Tim is the reason I started chasing long ago. He has chased since the 70s and is an expert in wind damage assessment. He is one of the best chasers in the country.

Picture of Liz standing in front of Mike Umscheid's booth. Mike, (on the right side of Liz)is a great forecaster for the Dodge City NWS. He has chased storms for years and is a superb weather photographer. Brandon Ivey is seated in the background, (left side of Liz). He is the forecaster for Sean Casey and rides in the TIV.

Picture of me and a chaser friend from east St. Louis scouting out a booth and swapping chase stories.

Dr. Forbs from The Weather Channel giving a presentation on how people respond to warnings and how chasers can help with the warning process.

Presentation on wind field of a violent Oklahoma tornado in 2011 by Dr. Bluestein.

Picture of Kody poseing in front of Baron's booth for a picture after receiving the threat net box.

Feb. 20, an early chase of sorts.

SPC had a slight risk outlook for central/south central Kansas. A very cold upper trough was pivoting through the state. The problem was cool temps and meager moisture, (dew points around 43) with cloud cover. A dry line cleared the clouds and storms developed from southern Ellsworth county through Oklahoma. A severe thunderstorm watch was issued from McPherson county south into Oklahoma. I drove south to be in place if the strong storms in western McPherson county became severe. I called Denice S. and she set up in the Mcpherson area while I set up in the northern part of the county. We both saw winds to 45 mph and pea hail. No warnings were issued. I got a fire call from our fire district and headed back home. The rain doused the fire and I then heard of a severe warning for northern Ottawa county to my north. This warning was cancelled early as it weakened quickly. It dropped quarter hail north of Minneoplois. At this time all storms moved rapidly out of the area. There was no live coverage on KSAL nor did I call in reports to the Wichita NWS. Still, it's pretty early for severe storms. Whats the rest of the spring going to be like?

February 28,tornado watch for central Kansas.

SPC had a slight risk outlook for central and southeast Kansas for this day. A dryline was predicted to move into central Kansas during the late afternoon. Temps were in the 60s and dew points in the 50s. A tornado watch was issued for north central Kansas around 4 pm. Storms began south of Russell and moved north northeast at 50 mph, typical for early spring storms in a high shear environment. Kody T. came out around 4 pm. We took off for the Lincoln county area as storms kept backbuilding from the Russell area. We set up in the Sylvan Grove area and watched storms race by to our northwest. We backtracked to Lincoln as the origonal storms became severe warned, then tornado warned in the Beloit area. We decided to drop south to I-70 as new storms popped up west and southwest of Ellsworth and the Beloit storms would move away too quickly for us to catch up. At this time a tornado watch was issued for all of central Kansas. We headed back north on highway 14 to follow the tail-end storm when a non-rotating wall cloud formed just to our northwest (approx. 7 miles south of Lincoln). This lasted about 5 minutes during which I talked to the weather service in Wichita. We followed this storm east on highway 18 while watching a new tornado warned storm southwest of Hutchinson. We charged south on I-135 when the warning was extended into McPherson county. KSAL started live coverage on this warning. I made 2 live reports as we raced south then east to Tampa to try to get ahead of the warned storm. We set up on highway 15 and watched for 20 minutes as the warned storm raced by to our southeast. I was getting low on fuel so we oped to end the chase at this time around 8 pm. Later, around 8:30 to 9 pm., this storm reintensified and produced a tornado that hit Harveyville Ks.

Non rotating wall cloud seen south of Lincoln Kansas.

More thoughts on the Harvyville tornado.

Tuesday March 6. There have been some newspaper articles as well as some blogs written lately about no tornado warning issued for Harvyville. I really feel for the National Weather Service people who I think are caught in a "rock AND a hard place". After the Joplin tornado of 2011, social studies showed people waiting for comfirmation before going to shelter. This is due to, in my mind several things. One, the false alarm rates for tornado warnings. Two, Emergency managers who makes prolific use of town sireons,(even for severe thunderstorm warnings). Three, the Greensburg tornado. Greensburg was highly visible in it's early stages and had a no miss velosity signature up through Barton county. There were 20 minute warnings for Greensburg, lives were saved and a good job was well publicized. I wonder if people thought that the warning system would work THAT well every time. Fourth, TV programs on severe weather (ie discovery channel/weather channel) NOT showing the difficult rain wrapped cases!! So, unless there is a dense network of doppler radars or some kind of wind profilers, fast forming rain wrapped situations are going to be missed from time to time. I understand that. It will also be interesting to see how the extra worded warnings the NWS will experiment with this spring.(Also a result of Joplin studies). This I do know about that day. Kody and I chased the storms in Lincoln county that moved through Beloit-Concordia-Bellville. The storms were racing along at 50 mph! You just get in front of the storm, let it go by, then wave goodby to it and look for another storm coming up from the south. One can almost never keep up with 50 mph storms. These storms intensified to severe status, then were tornado warned around Beloit. I remember Kody showing the embedded velosity signature and thinking "nobody is going to see if the tornado is on the ground!" The velosity signatures continued up through Bellville, pulsing strongly then weakening, then ramping back up. We dropped south to cover the tornado warned storm approaching McPherson county. It too had good velosity couplets in it. We were falling behind the storm at Tampa Ks. noting that the velosity couplet was expanding and weakening, the reflectivity was strong (embedded super cell structures in a continous line). That was what moved into Harvyville and dropped the F-2 tornado. I know that if that storm was in central Kansas, close to Salina, KSAL would be live-casting the severe warning with myself and the other spotters talking about the storm. I doubt if we could have seen the tornado because of the rain-wrapped fast moving storm at night. We would have conveyed the fact that there was danger to the public with winds/hail and a tornado watch in place. In the talks I give to the public, I emphasize people should go immediatly to their safe place when a tornado warning is issued and that it is difficult to determine (see) a tornado in a rain wrapped situation. The media needs to understand that a theory of tornado formation in super cell thunderstorms has NOT been made yet! Even when a theory is in place, I've chased enough to know that Mother Nature has exceptions and does things her own way. There will always be some missed warnings. As I have said before---the NWS forecast people are caught in the middle. They are blamed if they issue too many warnings and they are blamed if they miss ONE!

March 29, severe warning Harvey/Sedgwick and McPherson counties.

The storm prediction center had a slight risk outlook for central/eastern Kansas today. Yesterday I was excited about chaseing and even drove to Abeline for no avail. Today, while working fence in the pasture, I saw towers building along the dry line to my distant south. I had to go to Salina for some errands so I geared up and left home around 4:30. Storms erupted from southeast of Salina to Hutchinson. I completed my errands, fueled up and picked up Kody at south Salina. McPherson county was severe warned at this time. We charged east on highway 4, intending to get in front of these storms as they moved northeast. As we got on the northern storm, it died! We set up by Herington and decided to haul south to get in front of the Sedgwick county storm. This storm, like yesterday did not move much. We drove to Newton then south to Park city where we set up between there and Maise. We encountered bouts of heavy rain as well as dime to nickle hail. After a half hour of this the storm moved southeast away from us so we called it an evening and headed home. Even now at 10:30, the storms were severe warned around Wichita.

Picture of the severe warned storm located in northern Sedgwick county. We are west of the Park City exit looking west/southwest. The storm intensified and pounded us with hail and heavy rain.

April 1, Trip to Reading Kansas.

Our church did some mission work cleaning up tornado damage here the last two Saturdays. The tornado hit Reading (just northeast of Emporia) a day before the Joplin tornado occured. Talking with the people who were effected brought out many stories of the encounter. Most alarming was the same old Joplin story again. The county managers were blowing sierons for severe warned storms and the people were not taking the warnings seriously any more. Most people told me they realized there WAS a threat when they turned on the TV. The one fatality occurred when an older couple living in a mobile home left too late. They saw the tornado was upon them as they were getting into their car so went back into their home at the last second. One died. I sawed up a large downed tree right beside the now empty trailer pad. I guess this keeps me giving tornado talks to groups that ask me to speak. I've been doing about a talk a week. My main point is to take shelter quickly, there may not be much time. Heed the warnings.

April 14, tornado mayhem.

The last two years have been dry tornado years for me. One of the last storm chasing objectives for me was working around a violent wedge tornado. April 14 took care of that. I think we saw 8 separate tornados this day at a minimum. I started the chase at 12:30ish pm. and got home at 12:30 am. The storm prediction center had a "high" risk on their day two outlook and continued the high risk on their day one outlook, April 14. SPC's thinking was that storms would form in the mid to late afternoon and continue severity long after dark. I had a light cattle working schedule so to be ready to go around 2 or 3 pm. I was suprised when Kody T. called at 10:30 stating that there was a severe thunderstorm warning for the Hays area! I left some of the work for Jeremy and Liz ect. and went home to get ready. I called Jason, my old chase pard and he came out and we took off. A PDS tornado watch was issued for all of southwest and central Kansas as we headed west towards new severe warned storms south of Hays. Kody was ahead of us, driving up to the northwest Lincoln county area after a tornado warned storm there. Storms that day were moving around 45-50 mph. We set up on Balta Rd. west of Russell as the storm just to our south became tornado warned. Due to rain, haze and fog, we didn't see anything of this tornado. When the rain let up we drove back east and found debris across I-70 east of Russell. There were also road signs snapped. After checking around for more damage we headed south on 281 to intercept tornado warned storms in the Dodge city and Greensburg area. We then found more damage on the west side of the highway just south of Russell. We stopped and helped the people "corrall" a loose horse and took pictures. We then headed south again as two T-warned storms were moving northeast towards us. We took highway 4 west towards LaCrosse, set up on a hill and waited for the northern storm to approach. Kody joined us and we watched the radar signatures on both storms. We all moved west a few more miles to get closer. At this time we sighted a cone tornado on the ground around 12 miles to our southwest. The storm cycled then dropped another elephant trunk tornado for a minute or two. The storm morphed into a LP storm and dropped a third tornado. After this tornado lifted, the wall cloud/cloudbase lowering dissapeared. We headed for Great Bend as the southern storm looked bigger/meaner and looked to have Great Bend in it's sight. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw another tornado on the ground back around La Crosse!!! We stopped and videoed/snapped pictures of this longer lived tornado. After this we saw no more tornadoes out of this storm. During all of this, I sent info feeds to KSN tv and Wichita NWS. We rushed through Great Bend, punching the foreward core of the southern storm moving northeast. We set up between Ellinwood and Chase, sighting a funnel possible tornado to our soutwest. We retreated east to a spot between Chase and Lyons and pulled over to view the storm again. We then drove through Lyons and set up northeast of that city. At this time a report of a large tornado came across the radio! I saw a possible tornado behind the heavy rain curtain to our northwest. We charged north on a road towards the storm when the rain parted reveiling a violent rotating wedge tornado, one mile away!! I floored the gas pedel as the tornado crossed the road in front of us a half a mile away. We followed, along with HUNDREDS of other chasers, Jason videoing, while I was describing live what the tornado was doing. We zig zaged behind the tornado, crossing the damage path twice. We got stopped by blocked roads for a while while the tornado moved away. Finally, I drove up to the blocked area and found a huge cottonwood tree across the road. I took my chain saw and cut a path through the tree and we continued on. The tornado was 15 to 20 miles ahead of us. We took highway 4 east and strived to catch up. Again hords of chasers slowed our progress. The tornado was making a bee-line towards Salina!!! I spotted the tornado to our northeast---it shrunk to a stove pipe shape. Luckily it lifted before hitting Salina. I though the tornado was over so we looked for a damaged house southwest of Salina that was reported to the radio station. Soon new lowerings then tornado touchdowns were reported east of Salina as the storm ramped back up. We charged east on I-70 stopping at the Niles exit sighting a cone tornado to our distant north. This tornado grew larger and lasted for some time. We charged north on Solomon Rd. watching the tornado do a spectacular rope out. We went back to Salina where we fueled up and grabbed a burger. Kody joined us again as we headed back to Lyons to get in front of another tornadic storm! We set up west of town then retreated south of the city. The time was around 10:30. This storm was following the path taken by the storm producing the earlier wedge. The inflow to this storm was strong---30 mph out of the east then southeast at 50! We spotted a power flash west of Lyons then a lightning illuminated V shaped tornado. Another power flash occurred as I went back live on KSAL. We drove north through Lyons dodging tree branches on the road broken by the inflow. I saw and reported two more power flashes on the north side of town, then a tornado crossed my view illuminated by city lights/lightning. We crossed two damage paths, one on the north side of town, then one a mile north of town. We saw no more tornados or power flashes until the storm was 15 miles southwest of Salina. Then we saw one power flash. Salina was not struck by a tornado with this storm. Now a tornado warning was issued for eastern Ellsworth county as new storms intensified. We set up on a hill north of Brookville as the storm moved in. Northwest Saline county was included in the warning. No tornado occurred with this storm, fortunatly. I was live on KSAL continuesly from Lyons through Brookville. What a day! The National Weather Service rated the Rice county wedge as EF-4. We heard that an Ell-Saline school teacher's home was destroyed in south Ellsworth county. Sunday, we helped with cleanup. The farmstead was completly destroyed as well as the house. The family was following the weather on TV and the internet. They saw the approaching tornado and used a vehicle to get out of the path since they had no basement. They watched and took pictures as the tornado devastated their home. No doubt, leaving saved their lives.

Minor tornado/wind damage we encountered a couple of miles south of Russell. The horse trailer was blowen into the panels knocking them over allowing the horse to excape.

One of the tornados we saw looking west towards La Cross/Timkin area. Photo by Jason Schulz.

Picture of maybe the third tornado southeast of LaCross. Picture by Jason Schultz.

Picture of the wedge tornado we were following in Rice county. Picture by Jason Schulz.

Picture of the tornado in the Niles area northeast of Salina. This tornado formed after the storm lifted over Salina and dropped a tornado briefly on New Cambria. This tornado lasted for several minutes. Picture by Jason.

Jeremy took this picture of Jason and me on the on ramp, Niles exit, I-70, shooting video of the tornado at Niles. The picture above was shot from this site.

Picture of F-4 damage to a farm stead in the Langley area. The home set where the flag is flying. We helped with clean up here Sunday, the day after the tornado. The huge story of April 14, was the storm cycling over Salina causing the tornado to lift after traveling scores of miles maintaining size and intensity. Otherwise a damage path like that above would have bisected Salina.

April 27, storms in a tornado watch.

The Storm Prediction Center had a moderate risk for central Kansas this day, with a 15% tornado parameter. Storms were to form along the drylne as well as ahead of the surface low moving west to east along roughly highway 24. My sister Jo came out around 2 pm. and we headed to Lincoln county where a storm were occuring. This storm ended up being tornado warned for the Beloit area later. We dropped south to I-70 as storms were firing along the dryline and moving north. We let a storm "core" us in the Westfall area, it was not severe warned until the Concordia area later. All the while we were watching a storm on radar moving towards Salina. A tornado watch was issued for central and eastern Kansas during this trime. I positioned Denise S. on the south side of the Salina storm while we rushed down '70 to Ohio St. and I-70. KSAL broke into live coverage as a rotating wall cloud was sighted on the southwest side of Salina. Denise saw this rotation but was unable to dial the station to talk! I had to dial twice before I got in and went live from my position on the north side of town. The sireons were sounded for Salina even though no warning was in effect. The storm moved quickly across town with only high based slow rotation occurring. We moved east on I-70 and let this area of rotation pass over us still giving live reports on KSAL. We exited 70 at the Niles exit turning north with several other storm chasers. Kody caught up and followed us as a large wall cloud developed to our north in the Niles area. We followed this storm north past Manchester, giving reports on slow rotation at times but sighting no tornados or funnels. Lots of scary clouds though. We broke off the chase after the storm moved out of Ottawa county.

Picture of the Lincoln county storm we were on at Westfall. This storm might have went on up to Concordia and tornadoed there. We left this storm in favor of the storm moving towards Salina.

Picture of the wall cloud located above and right of the tree just southwest of Salina. We were passing I-135 eastbound enroute to our set up position at Ohio street. This wall cloud had some rotation and prompted the sireons to sound in Salina even though there was no warning for the storm.

Picture of the wall cloud from Ohio street. It still had some rotation but not as pronounced as earlier. The wall cloud is east of the city now.

Storm in the Niles area generates a cute wall cloud. Storm is warned at this time.

One of the last storm presentations I did for the spring.

May 19, hail storms in a thunder storm watch.

SPC had a slight risk outlook for central Kansas this day with a 30% hail parameter. I had a birthday party for a grandchild by Lawrence and didn't get back until just after 6 pm. A severe watch was issued for from Oklahoma up through central Kansas around 3 pm. Storms erupted south of Great Bend area and moved north and became severe warned. I watched all this on the radar as we were driving home. A warned storm for hail moved by just west of my farm with our neighbors getting hail damasge but little rain. New storms developed in Rice county moving northeast and Saline county became severe warned. I drove to just west of Salina and got in front of this storm. It put out pea to dime hail and a heavy burst of rain. I reported this to the Wichita NWS as well as live on KSAL. I then drove east on I-70 then north of Solomon to keep up with this storm. A new storm popped up just south of Abeline and became severe warned very quickly. I dropped south, then east on I-70 to Abeline to get in this storm. There are two overpasses west of Abilene. The first one I came to had cars parked on BOTH sides of the east bound lane. A car pulled out from the south sholder causeing the car in front of me to slam on his brakes to avoid collision! The next overpass had so many cars parked under it there was only one lane open!!! ONLY RAIN WAS FALLING! I made it through this accident trap and pulled off at the exit east of the Abeline exit. Heavy rain and then hail from pea to quarters fell. I went back live on KSAL describing the overpass mess and the hail east of Abilene. I also relayed a hail report through Wichita NWS to Tokeka. The storms of this day were moisture starved some what and seemed to ramp up, then weaken with time.

Pictture of the severe warned storm that passed through Salina. I'm north of Solomon looking northwest at the back side of the storm.

Picture out the window of the hail on the ground east of Abilene.

May 25, tornados around Russell.

I saw 2-3 tornados and 2-3 funnels around and west of Russell this evening. One of the tornados hit just north of my position destroying a house. I was one of the first on scene so put on my fire gear. Some people and myself found an elderly lady in her destroyed home. I helped stabilize her till EMS arrived. It's 1 am and I'm bushed. I'll try to write an account tomorrow as well as look at my pictures. The Storm Prediction Center had a slight risk outlook for this day with a 5% tornado centered in the Hays triple point area. For some reason I really had a "feeling" about this day. I got home around 4:30 in the afternoon from running errands and started to watch the radar. A storm popped south of Hays and I headed west on I-70. I intercepted this storm just west of Russell, where I pulled off '70 at the Balta exit. All storms this day moved s-l-o-w-l-y northeast. There was a large lowered base to my southwest with a solid precip core a couple of miles north. I began to see tons of rfd dust blowing south on the back side of the updraft base, then dust blowing north in front! This dust congealed under the base and wrapped up into a broad circulation---a tornado or gustnado. I retreated through Russell along with the tornado intercept vehicle guys and set up on the east side of Russell. Durring this time I saw two funnels over/near the city. Radar showed a nasty tornado warned storm one county southwest of Russell so I headed south on 281 as the storm I had been on weakened. I was following a convoy of Doppler-on- wheels trucks that I thought were heading to the tail end storm. Suddenly they turned west towards Galatia so I followed, thinking they knew more than I did. I could see a large wall cloud to my northwest where like the weakened Russell storm extended back southwest and ramped back up!! I pulled over north of Galatia and shot still pictures and started the video camera. The wall cloud consentrated then formed a funnel which enlarged into a cone tornado. This tornado lasted a few minutes, lifted, went horizonal, ropeing out in spectacular fasion!!!! I drove northeast back towards Russell on back roads driving past a KSN tv reporter. I stopped, backed up and talked with her on what we both had seen so far. A new lowering developed north of us moving towards Russell again. I saw a lightning bolt stab down and the lights in Russell went out. All this time there was a tornado warning for this storm. I got back on highway 281 and headed north. I parked behind some doppler on wheels (DOW) trucks and got out to watch. I saw a small elephant trunk tornado pass by to my north but couldn't tell how far it was due to no power flashes since the power was out from the lightning strike. I made one of many feeds to the NWS in Wichita, stateing that Russell may have been hit. I jumped in the truck and sped north to investigate. As I was driving, confetti debris was falling around me---something, a structure was hit!!!! I drove past another DOW truck and saw headlights illuminating a destroyed house on the east side of 281! I pulled in the driveway, jumped out, and quickly donned my fire gear. I walked over to the leveled house with other people when a lady called out "I've found someone"! We walked over the rubble and found a elderly woman sitting up in the debris. I asked where she was hurt then sat behind her and firmly held her head/neck in a stable state until EMS arrived. The man holding two flashlights for me looked familiar. It was Dr. Wurman from the DOW truck! I said" hi Josh I'm Henry" but I'm sure with my fire helmut on he didn't recognize me from the past storm chaser conventions. Ems arrived, we "boarded" the woman and with Dr. Wurman holding a coat over her face due to pouring rain, carried her to the ambulance. I then teamed up with a firefighter and we did a hasty search of an area to the northeast of the destroyed house. For a while we were concerned about a overturned trailer home but neighbors said no one lived in it. I left the scene as lots of firefighters arrived to take over. There was another tornado warned storm coming towards Russell so I drove west to Gorham exit and went south and followed this storm up to I-70. It at first, had a large wall cloud but this quickly weakened and the warning was dropped. I ended the chase and went home. What a night!

This picture is taken from the Balta Rd. exit looking southwest. The dark under the cloud base is dust wrapping around the back side of the updraft base/wall cloud.

This picture is at the same place as above. Now dust has wrapped in front of the wall cloud and has circulation. It was allinged with a lowering of the cloud base so maybe a weak tornado.

Picture taken from the northeast side of Russell looking west. Centered is an area of rotation at the cloud base as the storm was leaving Russell. It was really cool to watch.

Picture looking northwest. I am north of Galatia. Nice wall cloud.

Still north of Galatia. Tornado on the ground somewhere between Gorham and Galatia.

Spectacular rope out of the tornado northwest of Galatia. One of the DOWs was scanning this tornado about a mile to my north. They HAD to have gotten great data off this storm. They almost got hit by the next tornado spawned by this storm just south of Russell. Data from within the tornado!!!

May 27, severe thunderstorm warnings Ellis,Russell and Lincoln counties.

Spc had a slight/moderate risk outlook for west part of central Kansas. Jason, Kody and I went west and chased LP severe storms during the late afternoon/evening.

Jason glances at the computer as we drove towards the warned storm.

A picture of a LP storm with cloud base rotation. It had both cyclonic and anti-cyclonic couplets and passed right over us a mile north of Ellis Kansas. No tornados occurred this day.

Kody is watching the rotation that passed right over us. The wind was blowing out of the south, then died, then came back up after the storm passed over.

There was a severe thunderstorm warning for Russell county. The wind blew down many trees and some light structures. I had a meeting in Salina so missed the action. This picture was taken of the lead part of the storm from Salina. This storm died quickly as it moved toward Salina.

Kody and I chased today Sept. 6. There was a slight risk with severe thunderstorms moving towards Lincoln county. Of course as soon as we headed towards the advancing storms, they died. Kody shot this sunset pic., a consolation prize.

October 13, severe thunderstorm warnings in a severe thunderstorm watch.

The storm prediction center had a slight risk outlook this day. Around 1 pm. SPC issued watches in Oklahoma and Texas. Then, around 3 pm. they issued a severe watch for all of central Kansas. Soon after this storms exploded from Great Bend to Ellsworth. I drove up north of the house to southeast Lincoln county as the storm track pointers were lined through there. These storms soon were severe warned with an especially intense cell just south of Ellsworth. I drove up to highway 14 on I-70 and punched the north core of the Ellsworth storm and just recieved heavy rain. I turned around and headed back east on '70 as the strongest part of the cell was approaching the highway. I stopped at the 156 exit and started to get pea to dime hail. I gave info feeds to the NWS in Wichita as well as KSN tv. I then went live on KSAL as they started to cover the storms live. The weather service called me about some rotation they saw to my south but I was submerged in rain. They suggested I move out of the way and I needed no further urging. I scooted east on '70 and made another report on KSAL about drivers on '70 should be slowing down with the heavy rain/hail I had just driven out of. The storms moved into Lincoln/Ottowa counties and the warnings were moved to those counties. Ksal's contract meterologist talked about an intensifying storm in Rice county that was moving in Salina's direction. I headed towards Salina intending to hit I-35 south and intercept this storm. When at the west side of Salina the radar update showed the Rice county storm fadeing and a new intense storm poping up by Ellsworth again! I turned around and raced back west on I-70 as the storm was severe warned. Like the storm earlier, there was a quasi-wall cloud with the storm that lasted for like 5 minutes then the storm quickly weakened as it moved north. This was the order of the day---pulse severe storms. It was like the shear aloft ripped the storms apart after a while. Still it was nice to get in a fall chase.

Picture looking southwest from southeast Lincoln county of the first Ellsworth storm. It was severe warned soon after I took this picture.

Picture of the first Ellsworth severe warned storm after it moved north of I-70 showing the turblent rain free base.

Picture of the second Ellsworth storm before being severe warned.

November 10, last chase of the season, probably.

The Storm Prediction center had a slight risk outlook for 5 days in advance for this day. It was a low cape/high shear day typical of late fall. Late afternoon, SPC issued a severe watch for all of central Kansas. Storms developed and became severe warned around Dodge city moving northeast at 60 mph. I left home when these storms were moving into the Great Bend area. I decided to position myself a-head of the storms so I first set up at the Wilson exit, I-70. The storms weakend in the I-70 area but increased northwest of Great bend tracking towards Ellsworth. I raced back to the Ellsworth exit and set up two miles north of Ellsworth. Radar on my laptop showed intense cores just to west of Ellsworth. Looking at the cores showed nasty rounded structures to my southwest as the storms bowed out. Rain started then periotic hail as the storms moved over me. The hail got larger (some to half dollar size) and came down in a deluge. I called an info report to Wichita NWS. then went live on KSAL warning about the hail. It hailed so much that I left tracks on highway 14. I drove to Ellsworth, then east on highway 40 as storms really intensified south of Ellsworth. These storms moved over me producing more hail to nickle size turning into another hail deluge causing whiteout conditions. I made more info feeds to the NWS as well as KSN. I then went back live on KSAL warning folks driving to basicly stop and wait as it was too dangerous drive where I was. I drove out of the mess around the highway 40/141 jct. After this the storms weakened below severe levels except for around the McPherson/Lindsborg area. Those storms moved on and I ended my chase. Pretty cool for a mid November chase. I guess I'm ready for winter now.